Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My studio!


I watched a short film made by Pete Townshend yesterday; he took us on a tour of his home studio. Ha, I thought. I have one too!

Trouble is, compared to his, mine is a bit of a joke. No, a really big joke with the bestest, funniest punch-line in the world.

I know I don't have his money (I don't have any money, it's borrowed) so I guess it can't be expected ay?

Anyway, I have a Spirit SX mixing desk powered by a 100watt Yamaha amp and Tannoy Reveal, passive speakers.

The small gray unit is an 8 track Tascam DP-01FX. I cant make up my mind whether to use this or Cubasis, which I have on my PC so I tend to alternate between the two. I also have Fruity Loops on the PC, which I use for drum loops etc and other weird sounds.

I have 3 mics of varying ability and I recently bought an AP audio condensing mic. I never heard of it but the guy in the shop said they were very good -especially at the price and I have to agree. Not a Rode or AKG but it has a great sound and is not overly sensitive. Great for recording the ambient drum sounds.

My other kit comprises of: An EKO acoustic guitar, which I've had for 28 years, a Washburn, Les Paul copy (hanging on the wall), a Yamaha SY35 keyboard and a Tama Rockstar drum kit.

Oh, hours of fun can be had with this lot. If only I had someone to show me how to put it all together.

Pete Townshend, eat your heart out loser.

P.S. The photograph on the wall to the left of the PC is unique. It is of Roger Daltrey at the NEC, Birmingham, '89 during the Tommy tour. I took it myself but the flash didn't work, which in the end worked out better. The two white dots on the picture are used PT plectrums. oh, the crap i keep.

3 comments:

Justin Kreutzmann said...

Pete's film was pretty great. You studio's cool. it's not the size the matters, it's how you use it.

Gary said...

Hey thanks mate. Nice meeting you too.

Fleur de Bee said...

Now I need a studio and I don't even play! This is all getting too trendy and keeping up withthe delbuts for me! LOL