Monday, November 28, 2005

The ever-evolving sheep.

It is a little known fact that sheep are very intelligent. Although there are many different breeds, the Welsh version is probably the cleverest. I kid you not. (that's an unintended Goat pun there)

In terms of culture etc., you can split Wales, and its sheep, into the North and South variety.

In the north, they have proper mountain ranges. E.G. Snowdonia. In the south we have "mountains". When you consider that we call a small hump in a field a hill, you can imagine what we call mountains.

I digress.

Based on the above terrain, our sheep have evolved differently, but very, very ingeniously. I will tell you about the southern sheep as they are the ones I know best. (not in a biblical way tho)

Thousands of years ago, before the invasion of Anglo Saxons and Romans, sheep were happy grazing on the flatlands of the Vale of Glamorgan and other such places. Due to the ever-expanding population of our fair country the sheep were pushed up to the hilly places where man was less prevalent. Trouble was, sheep weren't much good on the slopes. If they pointed directly down the hill, all the blood would rush to their heads causing them to pass out. If they pointed directly up the hill men of questionable sexual preference would creep up on them and have their wicked way.
To combat this the sheep, en mass, decided that the desired stance was across the slope, thus canceling out the previous risks.

This brought a further problem: Standing sideways meant that they were leaning slightly and, in high winds, they would fall over.

Mother nature took over and sheep, through natural evolution, developed shorter legs on one side of their body; some left-handed, some right. You may think I'm kidding (another goat pun) but this has been scientifically proved. Although early scientists thought that the sheep just dug holes to put their legs in, work by the Welsh Naturalist, David David (or Dai twice as he was known), made them a laughing stock. "It was simple", he said, "how can sheep dig holes?, they can't hold a shovel!" subsequent measuring of the sheep has indeed shown that the legs are different lengths.

The only thing I know about north Wales sheep is that, due to the extent of rainfall, they have webbed feet at the end of their differently sized legs. Of course, it goes without saying (but I will anyway), that the extent of the differing leg size is more pronounced in the north due to the steeper slope.


Here is a picture of Dai Twice measuring a sheep. This is a right-handed sheep. Note that the sheep's front left and rear left legs are bent at the knee. This is because it is standing on level ground and must compensate for the shorter right legs. You will also note that Dai's wearing a small tractor tyre on his head. This helps when the male sheep want to head-butt him when he's trying to "milk" them.

7 comments:

Sam said...

love the post! dai twice! love it! Got me thinking of that scene in Twin Town. Don't know if you've seen it?

I do remember meeting you in balham! I had a great night that night. Few too many jars mind you.

The swans are still flying but i fear we'll lose lord trundle in January. Wales beat the aussies which was brilliant. Haven't done that for a long while.

Hope you're doing well

Sam

Mike S said...

I LOVE SHEEP!! BAH!

Delbut,

I left a comment under the Magik,
John P pic/post.Cheers!

Good job on the front row trickery,
Magik and a few of us over here
have it down to a science as well.
I'll never go back,they won't catch
me!! Mwhahaha!! :O)

Marietta Zervou said...

Hey Delbut,

Thanks for visiting my Quiiiiit blog (I always imagine people squeaking when they read that word, lol).
It's been fab in Amsterdam and I forgot about the smoking all together!
How bizarre!

Love the sheep post, I didn't know any of this... Extraordinary
Take care,
;-)
M

Fleur de Bee said...

dai twice! LOL

Back and much better thanks. LOVE your boots and will post sometime tomorrow. I have been up too late here catching up posting and reading others!

Take care! You are too sweet to me! Thanks!!

E.L. Wisty said...

Monty Python knew it already, telling about Harold, "that most dangerous of animals, a clever sheep", who hit an ingenious escape plan: teach the sheep to fly.

AlianaDrex said...

My favorite post yet!

Tausha71979 said...

Hello!

Whew I finally made it over to your blog! It's great! I'm flattered that you liked my boots! Sexy aren't they;)..Anyway, just wanted to say hello! Hope to visit again

Regards,
Tausha