Sunday, April 02, 2006

Who Convention 2006

Went to the Who convention yesterday. Must say it was a bloody good event. "Conventions" are usually looked upon as a saddo event where people dress up in Star Trek outfits or Dr Who alien costumes. I normally wouldn't be seen dead at such a waste of human effort. Not so the Who convention. OK, there were a few people there who could bore the prick of a well-endowed donkey, but in the main it was a good day out. There were two tribute bands (of whom it could be said that they indeed dress up in Who outfits a la Trekkies -but i will forgive them for that)who (pun intended) did a stirling job in front of a not overly enthusiastic crowd to start. Highlight for me were The Casbah Club. Simon, Mark and Bruce played a stunning set of new and not-so-new Simon Townshend material.

Biggest downer of the day was the price of beer. £3 for a can of Guinness!

Biggest upper of the day was the surprise guest. Roger fucking Daltrey himself.
Even though he has been busy with a week's events at the Albert Hall for the Teenage Cancer Trust and last night was the final night, Roger, the biggest Who fan around, still found time to come in and say hello. He also, after badgering from us, sang two songs with Simon. Off the cuff (and incomplete) they may have been but it shows what a diamond geezer he is. To travelacrosss London at that time of day just to show his appreciation for us just demonstrates what a great guy he is.

Nuff arse licking.

Had to leave before the end because i was effing starving so went and had the spiciest chicken in the world. My arse is now paying the price. (that may be the Guinness, come to think of it.

Evidence of which is below. Not my arse -me drinking Guinness





9 comments:

Steve H said...

Hey Delbut

Sounds like you had a great time - can't believe I had a ticket and couldn't go cause I had a gig with my band in Basingstoke. Nice pics of Rog and I bet Casbah were great - looking forward to seeing them on the tour

SteveH

elena said...

Hi Delbut!!!

Lucky you!!! hehehe. Sounds like you had a great time!!!! Did you manage to say hello to Simon or Roger??

Elena
XXXXXX

Sarah said...

Coolness!

Cheryl Ann said...

Great pics!
Thanks for sharing!!

Anne-Marie said...

Hey Del,
Glad to hear you had a good time. Great pics, looking forward to seeing the rest.

Cheers,
AM

Suesjoy said...

Thanks for the report Delbut. Roger certainly is a "diamond geezer!"
Great pics! He's looking very handsome...still!
I am SO looking forward to seeing The Casbah Club...oh and that other band too!
:)
Thanks again for sharing. Did you see Marietta and/ or any other bloggers?

Dale said...

Hi Delbut

I love the pics!
Lucky you to be able to attend the convention - not dressed as an Klingon or a Vulcan...

I think it was pretty honourable of Roger to show up - after all, the convention was in his honour.

Take care.
Dale

lryicsgrl said...

What a great post!
Second time in just a few short months that I am kicking myself for not hopping a plane over the pond! Oh well, no second chances offered. Just hope The (great) Who musical train will stop in my neck of the woods!!!
Thanks for the pictures. And the kind words for Roger. Of course I do not know him, but I am glad to hear good things about him! ;0)

Gina said...

Very cool photos!