Sunday, January 13, 2008

Just for a change

I'd thought i'd write something about my work.

tis busy, busy, busy already. My job tasks are many-fold but to not bore you, basically i make sure our buildings are maintained, do a bit of design work for refurbishment projects ( that's re-modelling to the yanks, or "tarting them up" if you are Welsh)). And getting contractors to do all the work. I travel quite a bit around part of this insignificant country and get to sit in many traffic jams.

Anyway. I have 26 tarting-up jobs to complete this year (that's one every fortnight-dur) and still do all the other little pain in the arse bits to 200 properties.

As you may imagine, not all jobs go swimmingly so there may be a bit of swearing on here when i report in from time to time.

We are currently on site at our shop on the island of Guernsey, which is just off the French coast. Now i like going there. The flights are few and far between, which means i have to stay over for a night or two, AND i get to bring back duty-free fags. Bargain. The guys started on site on Monday. Well, they would have if the ferry hadn't been cancelled. Bugger, already a day behind. I get a phone call on the tuesday.
" Good news. We are here and have started digging holes."
"Cool", said I.
" Mmm, hang on a minute", said the voice. " We have uncovered a hole that shouldn't be there. It's 6 ft deep and 4 ft across and lined with bricks. We think it may be a well."
"Well?"
"Well, what?"
"No, a well?"
"Yeah, you know. A hole in the ground that you keep wat..."
" Yes, yes, i know what a fucking well is."
"It's not my fault". He said, rather hurt.
"Where is it?" I stupidly asked.
"in...the...ground". He spoke slowly.
"Is the boss there". Hopefully.
"He's taking a dump". (shit) He said, far too openly.
"Ok.You'll have to do. Where, in relation to the walls of the new building, is the hole?"
" Oh! Right underneath where two walls join".

"Fucking marvellous", I muttered.

" We need an engineer to tell us what to do." He said, passing the buck.
"I could tell you." I thought

This went on for far too long but eventually we found that it was just an old, disused pit ( probably used to keep builders' brains in) and decided to shift the walls a bit and fill the hole in.

I'm sure this saga isn't over.

10 comments:

Suesjoy said...

Well, well, well a post about your JOB-
a first!
You crack me up.

My GOD 26 jobs a year - that IS alot.
I can imagine how stressful it must get - just getting our kitchen done last year was tricky...the tile on the counter kept cracking...some elecrical outlets wouldn't work (the one for the freaking STOVE!). urgh.
Must be hard- you are at the subcontractors' mercy - then they run into snafus like the "well."
Good luck with this one, mate! :)
Keep us posted on your saga!


Hey...SD DID IT! One less hurdle for the Pats (no Peyton Manning to deal with). So it WILL be a repeat of last year (sorta). Looks like it will be Green Bay vs New England.
(I'm a traitor I know I know).

xxxx

Cathy with a C said...

Hey, Del

That call sounds like my calls to the Helpdesk that is now situated in India. The other night, the computer system that I am charge of had issues. Well, the system was ok, but the network wasn't working so no one could access my system.

I called the helpdesk as I am supposed to and the operator there kept insisting on sending the work ticket to my team even though I kept trying to explain to him that I needed a network person notified. 17 minutes I'm on the phone with him and then I get the joy of talking to his supervisor who also could not notify the right person. Finally, I hung up on them and called the site IT manager at home.

But we're saving lots of money by offshoring everything....

Cathy xox

Suesjoy said...

Aw...I can't watch the Pats beat SD LIVE...the game is at 4:30 a.m. here.
Hubby gets to go though...not fair! :(
I'll have to settle for a taped game.
Major bummer.

I forgot that the Packers still have to win their championship...I have a feeling they will though.

Ok enough blabbing Sue!
:)

grace said...

Love the post :)

Lot of jobs lined up. Fantastic. Keeping you busy!

xx

Suesjoy said...

I think...
for blog time sake-
You should borrow Peter Pan's green tights and pose in them for us.

(:

I am FULL of awesome ideas, I know I know...

Holly said...

lol sounds like great fun Del. Oh and the REASON my mum is so intense is cause she's a raving alcoholic...yeah it's fun to talk about. *hug*

Suesjoy said...

Hey!
I posted the world's biggest erection on my bloggie.
GO SEE!!!

Fleur de Bee said...

Naughty Sue spreading the smut around LOL!!! JK Swho! You know I love you!

D- how are you dear? Hope all is well! Your posts as always make me giggle! Drop me a line when you can, would love to catch up!

xx

grace said...

Hi Del, I just wanted to drop by and say that I am switching my blog over to invite, but I did not find an email for you, but wanted you on the invite list! So if you want to come by, drop me a shout at bloggrace@hotmail.com.

hope you are well xo

Suesjoy said...

Don't forget to blog about your Gibson!
AND a picture of the new addition...
Please?

Hope she made it into your loving arms in one piece!


Ooh the songs you'll write!

Enjoy.
xx